Looks like the river is on its way up to Summer levels! The clarity is still good and fishing has remained steady, but if you’re a wade angler, the good news is that you have some other options to explore like the Upper Teanaway and Upper Cle Elum, as well as the high mountain lakes above Salmon La Sac are are a great option to spend the day.
As far as fishing the Yak while this water is coming up, stick to fishing inside corners, soft seams, and areas with structure that fish can hold up in. Streamers are a great option as the water gets a little bit of color, but the normal nymphing game with a pats and some sort of small nymph dropper will get it done.
We’ve also been getting some pretty solid dry fly action with big goldens flying around, as well as starting to see some PMD’s, yellow sallies and caddis still hanging around. You can throw chubbies, stimulators, EC caddis and purple haze if you can find some fish looking up.
As far as fishing the small creeks, these are a small fish game so stick to light rods (we like the 3wt echo glass) and its hard to move away from dry flies for these feisty little cutthroat. We like small chubbies, elk hair caddis, ants and even throwing some soft hackles can be very effective. Really though, these fish will eat about any bug they can fit in their mouth.
Here’s and update on out current shop and guiding operations:
We realize everyone has their opinion about the current environment and operating in these times. Everyone is excited about businesses opening back up and being able to recreate. Personal opinions aside, outlined below is the best way we can continue serving anglers and help keep everyone safe.
Our goal is to create a safe, healthy, fun environment for our customers and employees. With all the guidelines and restrictions being placed on our business we will continue to offer call in, email and curbside purchases. We aren’t able to open the shop to the general public yet. It would take more manpower than we currently have available to comply with the operating retail guidelines. Continuing to operate the way we have been, will help us continue running our business and get our crew out on the river guiding where everyone feels the best. Keeping our overhead down and helping the guides get caught up financially by being out on the river guiding. We realize we are leaving potential retail sales on the table but we also feel this is the best way to service our customers, while creating a safe environment for everyone. THANK YOU for your patience, support and understanding during this time of uncertainty.
Services offered this week:
- Call In Purchases – Give us a call at the shop, we will fill your order over the phone and have it safely ready for curbside pickup.
- Curbside Pickup – Your call in or email order comes with our friendly and safe curbside pickup.
- Email Orders – Email us and we will prepare your order for curbside pickup.
- Guide Service – Open and operating guided fly fishing trips. Please bring a face mask or face covering.
- Shuttle Service – Give us a call, fill out the form and head to the river. We also have a printable form on our website. Print it at home, fill it out and drop it off at the shop with payment. troutwaterflyshop.com/shuttle-service/
- Online Gift Cards – Click here to purchase
- Free Expert Advice, Local Knowledge – Give us a call 509-962-3474 or 509-674-2144, send us an email. firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you again for the amazing show of support and patience during this time!!